Punchline, "Icicles"


At Christmas time, all our hearts seem to open a little bit wider. Unfortunately, our musical minds close proportionally.

We want to hear all those holiday songs that remind us of the yesteryears of our youth. Tell me Santa Claus is coming to town. Ask me if they know it’s Christmas at all. Plead for me to come home. Take me to Sarajevo on Christmas eve.

Photo: Chris Palmer, Flickr (CC by 2.0)
It doesn’t even matter so much who’s singing it. This year’s America’s got Voice winner? Sure. Forgotten 80’s metal band covering Bing Crosby? All over it. Country dudes you wouldn’t be caught dead listening to the rest of the year? Why not. We’re all a bunch of cover band fans this time of year.

However, spare me your originals. I got shopping to do. And Christmas Story marathons to watch. I don’t have the mental energy or heart hard disk space for anything new.


And for God’s sake, don’t be a downer. Nostalgic? OK. Wistful? Feeling ya. Cynical? Stuff it, Mr. thinkier than thou, anti-capitalist, urban hipster.  Bummed about your recent relationship demise? Exaggerated sigh. Shut the hell up and go score yourself some Prozac. We’ll talk after bowl season.


But Punchline’s “Icicles” is that awesome aberration. It’s a thrashy yet thoughtful holiday themed tell-off that simultaneously revs you up and sucks the glee right out. Check it out on the motley but mostly marvelous Santa Cause collection.


It’s neatly sandwiched in my Xmas mix between In Memory's “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year” & Relient K's “We Wish You a Merry Christmas”. But unlike most of its mix mates who suffer the fate of Frosty in the post-Xmas thaw, "Icicles" lives on into the new year. Even past the end of bowl season.


And now I am off to find out if Ralphie ever gets that darn BB gun.




YouTube lyrics video

PS: Turns out the lyric I thought was “walking on a nautilus” was actually “working on a naughty list”.  Who knew?

Comments